Hello, September! I would like to challenge myself this month. For the next 30 days, starting from today, I will publish 30 posts on this blog. One post a day. Since I am learning to be a great strategist, of course I am doing it with a plan.
The goal is to focus myself 60 minutes per day on writing blog posts and publish them on this blog, 1 post/day, in September 2012.
Challenge is active from September 1, 2012 to September 30, 2012.
Writing Time (GMT+7)
My best hours are 4:00 AM to 6:00 AM. I write the first thing in the morning.
Research and editing on WordPress panel are done during Game Hours (8:00 PM to 10:00 PM) or Free Hours (10:00 PM to 12:00 AM).
- To spend 60 minutes/day for writing only; researching, reading books and editing posts (on WordPress panel) do not count
- To publish 1 post/day
Challenge is successfully completed if all parameters are done.
Case: Let’s say by September 25 I am able to write and schedule posts for September 26-30, I will have to write in total focus for 60 minutes/day for the remaining days. Additional posts will be scheduled for October. Reward for additional posts is the same as reward for Challenge posts.
Anything is possible!
I may review videogames, books, movies, animes, apps, etc. I may share my thoughts on living the fun way. I may share daily life in the office.
I will not bound myself to niche topics as this blog is never intended for SEO. What matters most is that I write regularly in English.
I bring a physical notebook most of the time. For other times there is Evernote. Both are important to keep random ideas.
God bless Google!
Calendar & Task Manager
I use Trello to keep me on track.
Android tethering FTW! My phone, an Xperia Play, can be a portable hotspot. ^.^
A Nice Cup of Tea
43Things allows me to schedule encouragement e-mails sent to me.
- Define a topic to write
- (optional) Do some research
- (optional) Write the outline
- Write in 60 minutes
- Check the post for grammar errors and typos
- (optional) Revise the post
- Copy-paste the post onto WordPress panel, add some HTML codes
- Schedule the post
- (the next day) Check if the post is completely published
- Update Trello
Obstacles and Tactics
More Internet Cost
Indonesia’s connection is expensive. Since my tools are mostly online, I might spend IDR 200,000 (around $20) for mobile data plan. I need to cut the meal budget. No dining out in September!
Also, my magic jar finally comes into use; I can cook rice and buy omelets for breakfast.
Unreliable Mobile Connection
The writing (step 4) is the most important task, so I do it offline on Evernote. I need to keep backups on Dropbox, just in case. All other steps require connection, so I should be flexible with them; I can do them in the office.
Expensive English Books
I need to read as many English books as possible, but I barely afford them. Local universities have libraries, but I am not sure if they open for public. Most of the books are written in Indonesian anyway. I guess I have to go to coffee shops that import books; I can do this on Sundays. I can also borrow a couple from some friends.
Buying books is definitely not a top priority, so I will hope for the best from the internet. Again, God bless Google!
Busy Days at Work
Sometimes I have 6 meetings in one day. If it ever happens, I might not be able to spare 60 minutes at one time on writing, but I can do it in 3 time-slots (20 minutes each).
- I should finish all drafts first. Currently there are 1 scheduled post and 19 unfinished drafts.
- I need to fully charge the phone before I go to work.
- Encouragement e-mails sent to me on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Busy days, lower energy.
- Everyday before I go home, I have to use the office’s wireless connection to sync Evernote and Dropbox on Macbook and the phone.
- Discipline is crucial! I cannot afford to miss any meal nor wake up late.
- Health is more important! I should do morning meditations and some jogging. More vitamins, less instant noodles!
- Be more disciplined in several areas: health, mood management, waking up early and writing regularly
- Improvement in English writing
For each post scheduled on time, I keep inside a piggybank IDR 10,000 (around $1).
Successfully complete the Challenge to unlock IDR 300,000 prize, Dian!
And get this awesome upcoming game from your favorite developer Level-5!